Position Title: Summer Learning Instructor
Program Overview: The Summer Learning Program is an academic program for elementary-aged students in Southeast Seattle, hosted by East African Community Services (EACS). Students will engage in academic instruction, enrichment and cultural activities, field trips, and recreation. This six-week program will be held four days per week, Monday through Thursday from 12:00pm –5:00pm at New Holly Youth Building (7050 32nd Ave S, Seattle, WA, 98118). On Fridays, we will go on field trips. As an instructor, it’s optional to come. The program will serve approximately 95 elementary-aged students primarily from low-income and public housing families.
Reports To: K-12 Program Director
- Collaborate with K-12 Program Director and Assistant Coordinator, staff, volunteers, and Seattle MESA Coordinator to develop and implement lesson plans and activities
- Math curriculum and materials provided by Seattle MESA, emphasizes on hands-on activities and project-based learning
- Math curriculum training and ongoing support throughout summer instruction
- Engage students in learning through well-organized one-on-one and group activities
- Monitor and encourage students’ academic and social progress
- Exercise effective classroom management of students
- Ensure safety and well-being of all students
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education (completed or in-progress) or equivalent experience.
- Experience in curriculum planning, teaching, and classroom management
- Good oral and written English skills
- Ability to multitask and be flexible
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Familiarity and comfort working with elementary students and parents of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Bilingual speaking ability is a plus, but not required
$15+/hr depending on experience
- Gain hands-on experience with curriculum planning and teaching with elementary students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds
- Develop new skills and refine existing ones
- Apply hours towards degree requirements
- Work with an enthusiastic and passionate team of staff and volunteers
Commitment Required: Approximately 20 hours per week beginning on Monday, July 2nd and ending on Friday, August 17th, 2018. Program will be Monday-Thursday 12:00-5:00 pm (Fridays we will have Field Trips you can attend but it is optional). There will be no program July 4th-6th. Training and Orientation will be TBD. A background check is required.