Services & Programs
Youth & Education
- After-School Youth Tutoring – We offer free, drop-in after-school tutoring & homework assistance to approximately 25 youths a day through a the Refugee School Impact grant. The session runs from 4:00-6:00 PM Monday through Thursday.
- In-Home Tutoring – We are able to provide in-home tutoring for eligible youths through the Supplement Education Services contract with Seattle Public Schools.
- The African Eagles Project – African Eagles is a youth leadership and college/career mentoring group for Cleveland High School students. Through the project the teens learn valuable leadership skills, develop their own college or career plan, and build work experience through a summer internship.
Citizenship & Naturalization
- Citizenship Classes -Eligible applicants for the Naturalization process are able to receive free test preparation and citizenship education through contracts from the USCIS & DSHS of Washington State. The classes are offered Tuesday to Thursday at two separate times: 10:00-11:30 AM and then again at 6:00-7:30 PM.
- English as a Second Language - English languages skills are a requirement to complete the US Naturalization Test. To assist eligible applicants EACS provides ESL classes that are aimed at helping adult refugees and immigrants improve their English reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
- Naturalization Services – EACS is able to offer a variety of naturalization services to refugees & immigrants that are eligible for the citizenship. Services include fee waiver application, registration for the citizenship test, etc. Please contact Trina Clay at 206-721-1119 ext 102 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
- Case Management - Support for issues such as immigration services, job placement, health care access, affidavit documentation and referral to appropriate legal services.
- Senior Services - EACS provides assistance to East African elders with social and medical referrals to Aging and Disability Services.
- Interpretation – Medical and social interpretation services including Somali, Amharic, Oromo, Tigrinya, Arabic, Farsi, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Tagalog, Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish.
Community Capacity Building
- Cultural Competency Workshops – EACS offers a variety of trainings that teach non-East Africans about the culture, sensitivities, needs, and hurdles faced by the East African community. These workshops help creating mutual understanding by breaking down cultural barriers and building bridges between mainstream and East African communities.
- Health, Education, & Civic Empowerment Workshops – East Africans face numerous hurdles and barriers to achieving sustainable, prosperous lives. In an effort to educate the community about opportunities and methods for improving their lives EACS holds numerous free workshops in both English and the four main native languages of our community: Oromo, Amharic, Tigrinya, and Somali.